Thanks to Twitter employees for your hard work; best wishes in the ensuing chaos.
I believe Twitter was a great boon to developing my professional network in the software reliability and safety science spaces (and also shitposting and time wasting 🤣) but I am not a fan of current management. My approach to Twitter is now to maximize the utility I get from Twitter while minimizing the value the owners of Twitter get from me. To that end I have done and am exploring the following:
- Cancelled my subscription to Twitter Blue
- Set my header image on Twitter to the flipped birds you see above
- Removed Twitter’s iOS app from my phone and switched to Tweetdeck, which does not have adds
- Used delete-tweets and semiphemeral to nuke tweets older than thirty days old on an ongoing basis
- Signed up @jhscott on Mastodon (specifically https://mastodon.social), although I have yet to make a meaningful migration.
I invite you to join me in taking any of these steps that make sense to you — or letting me know what you’ve done instead of or in addition to them. Also, please don’t DM me on Twitter if you can avoid it.